Thursday 25 March 2010

Tasmanian Devil

The Tasmanian Devil, known as 'Taz', is one of the most popular Looney Tunes characters. He has a ravenous appetite and eats anything and everything, including inanimate objects and possibly human flesh.

He has horn-shaped fur on his head and is completely crazy, whirling around like a tornado on speed on a regular basis. He rarely speaks, preferring to communicate through growls, speeches and blowing raspberries, although he is quite intelligent and can read and write.

Taz first appeared in five Warner Bros shorts before animation closed down in 1964 and became popular through marketing and television appearances in the late 1980s.

In 1991 he got his own show, Taz-mania, where he was re-cast as a dim-witted teenager. In the show he appeared to be a stoner and lived with his strange family in a 1950s-style sitcom house. He also appeared in the 1996 film Space Jam and had a cameo in The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries.

Taz appeared in a KFC advert in 1994 and he had his own chocolate bar, known as the Taz Bar, in the UK. His miniature understudy, Dizzy Devil, who is clearly an alcoholic judging by his behaviour, regularly appears on the Fox TV series Tiny Toon Adventures.

20 comments:

  1. OMFG!!! THIS IS, LIKE, THE MOST AWESOMEST THING I HAVE EVER READ! AAAAAAAAGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Taz as a kid, although wasn't so sure on the Taz-mania thing. That was just weird (wearing cloths and the like!). Think Sylvester is definitely my fav' character though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As this blog discriminates against Hanna–Barbera (the superior option) cartoon characters, I have no option but to boycott this blog until this shameful transgression is rectified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lifting the boycott temporarily to comment that Kim, H+B has Flintstones, Jetsons and the G.O.A.T; Tom and Jerry. Looney Tunes isn't fit to carry Hanna-Barbera's jock strap. And you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looney Tunes has Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd. I will admit, however, that Hanna-Barbera do make good cartoons. I just can't write about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flintstones are quality. How can you argue with foxy Wilma and Betty?
    I'd let them flint my stone anytime....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah well Fred and Barney aren't flinting my stone anytime soon...and David, the Tasmanian Devil is a real cartoon. Unlike Jesus, who may or may not be a made-up character from the bible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 'real cartoon'? Oxymoron!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It'x an actual cartoon, as in it's really in existence. So there :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, I don't think girls have a stones to flint.
    Unless you're like the 'girl' I took back to my hotel room on my trip to Thailand back in 2007....my word that was awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG. A simple blog about cartoons has to turn into a smut-fest. Typical...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That "girl" looked like a cartoon. Granted, it was the sort of cartoon HR Giger would draw but still...a cartoon none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i will throw him out of the van once we cross the forth bridge on tuesday

    lolz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taz bars are now freddo caramels! My favourite Looney Toons character is coyote. Possibly the only cartoon that has made me laugh so much I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Surely it would make more sense to throw me out of the van 'whilst' we're crossing the Forth Road Bridge?

    Awww, did the bigoted little twat get lost in translation again? Nevermind, make yourself a ham sandwich and you'll soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Awww, did the bigoted little twat get lost in translation again? Nevermind, make yourself a ham sandwich and you'll soon feel better."

    Theres something ironic in this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I much prefer Disney! Did like Taz bars though...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmmm.

    I don't know how to say this.....


    So I won't!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic WB kicks Disney's ass!

    ReplyDelete